Wednesday 20 July 2011

To Be Continued ...

I don't usually come across a great deal of suspense in my reading. To be honest, I have never reached a critical moment in a story and then get forced to close the book and carry on with life until my next free moment to open up that book.

Currently, my tube travel time reading is the short story - White Nights by Dostoyevsky.

Wait! Don't leave, I haven't betrayed chick lit and Bollywood. It has everything to do with Bollywood because there is a film that was made that is apparently based on the original Russian novel - it's called Saawariya and while I still have not seen the film, it has one of the most beautiful soundtracks I have ever heard in my life.

But I digress.

The story is about this guy who meets a girl while out walking at night time. She has been waiting for the man that she fell in love with a year ago,  the one who promised that he would marry her one day, and that they would meet at that very spot, but he has not yet arrived.
The guy sees her and they become close friends (after saving her from being attacked in the street first). He has fallen in love with her, while she seems a little ignorant of the fact.
He confesses everything about how he feels to her when, after many nights of waiting together, she is angry that the man she fell in love with has not even bothered to get in contact with her.
She tells her friend that she will get over the love of her life and she does love her friend as well. They start to plan their entire future together.
Suddenly a man walks past and stares at the two of them together and then walks off.

It was the one she has been waiting for.

'This is [tube station]'

I had to stop reading and get off the train.

I don't know why I decided to blog about it instead of reading about it as soon as I entered the house.


[Edit at 18.30] I finished the story.

5 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

I love White Nights. It was the first Dostoyevsky I ever read.

Hope you're feeling better! You're brave, reading through your entire novel from the beginning. I'm going to have to do that as soon as this round of edits is over, but I'm scared...

Naina Gupta said...

It's the first one I have read as well. Not because of the film, I thought it sounded like a beautiful story.

I'm so glad you read it too. While I loved the story, when I finished the book it made me want to be in a literature class just so I could legitimately complain and say 'what a bitch!'.

What did you think?

Deniz Bevan said...

I can't remember Naina! It's probably time I reread it. All I recall is the mood of the story, which really appealed to me at the time.

Naina Gupta said...

Just read through the letter at the end. I was reading it and thinking that she was fickle and self-centred. I know he wanted her to be happy but she really annoyed me.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Naina..there is an award for you on my blog.